Book review - Sepulchre by Jame Herbert

SepulchreSepulchre by James Herbert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even though I'm a horror fan, I admit I'd never read any James Herbert who is one of the most well known names in the field, and I'm glad to say he didn't disappoint.
A multi-national corporation hires a high-end security firm to protect their most valuable asset, a psychic whom they use to find mineral and oil deposits. The agent hired to protect him is skeptical of the shifty psychic who seems to be a lot more than he seems. As he follows the psychic and his strange entourage to his secluded country mansion things really start to get weird.
The books reads more like a thriller but the horror kicks in at the over the top finale as the psychic revelas his true nature as well as the origin of his power which goes beyond the usual ESP shenanigans.
Herbert's writes with flair and confidence, never boring the reader, with enough detail and characterization to keep things lively. The book is very much in the category of "paperback from hell", but that's all well and good as far as I'm concerned.

View all my reviews

Comments